Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 08:07:59

Author: chuck britton

Subject: Re: "Ice Spikes" as art photography

Post:

At 6:12 PM -0700 8/15/10, William Beaty wrote:
>
>
>Also new Youtube:
>
> - Drinking LN2 (warning, can shatter tooth surfaces!)
>see: http://amasci.com/amateur/physvids.html

Said to be 'worse' than chewing Dry Ice.. (Not so).

DON't drink your LN2 from a glass Dewar (as shown).
Your lips WILL blister from the cold glass rim.
Use a styrofoam cup (much lower heat capacity and thermal
conductivity.)

DO ensure that your mouth (teeth, tongue, lips etc.) are WET before drinking.
A wet surface will not get colder than zero C.
Teeth won't shatter at zero C.

DO keep the LN2 moving in your mouth. Don't let it settle.

DON't inhale!!! The first sensation of violently boiling liquid in
your mouth can be a bit startling.

(A colleague tried to imitate my 'act' without consulting me.
He swallowed a bit and survived.
After experiencing the 'most satisfying belch of his
lifetime'.)



Chewing dry ice insures that your teeth are making close contact with
the very cold stuff.
No Leidenfrost effect to protect you.
Chewing Dry ice seems DUMB to me.
An occasional sip of LN2 is delightfully refreshing. (if done correctly).


Back