Date: Thu Nov 30 09:37:37 2006 Back to Contents

Author: Jerry Hester

Subject: Re: Dangerous Magnets ?!

Post:
--=====================_67639734==.ALT
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"; format=flowed

Cow magnets have been around and in use since I was a small child and that
has been awhile.
They were not normally coated with teflon or anything else.
They were fairly strong permanent magnets.
We had a plunger like tool that we would poke into the cows mouth to insert
the magnet down its throat.
Sometimes cows would wind up with several of these that lay in the first
stomach and catch small metal bits.
The rendering and butchering plants would collect them and sell/give them
back to Farmers for reuse.
The used ones were generally somewhat corroded.
As a child, I had many to play with.


Jerry H.

At 04:57 PM 11/29/2006, you wrote:
>On 11/29/06, William McNairy
> wrote:
>Dear All:
>
>I was surprised to see that small NIB magnets can pose a danger to
>children if swallowed-- not so much due to chemical makeup but rather
>potential magnetic attraction if two magnets are in nearby parts of the
>digestive tract. This can lead to perforations in the intestines.
>
>
>Thanks for the heads up, Bill. It's sad that this has caused serious
>injury and death.
>
>
>
>tangentially related: I frequently heard of a certain kind of magnet
>called a cow magnet. It was a while before I learned why: farmers feed
>(just one) of a (usually) teflon coated cylindrically shaped strong magnet
>to cows. The magnet is large enough that it just sits in one of the cow's
>stomachs.
>This magnet attract nails, wire, etc. that the cows ingest so that the
>sharp point objects don't slosh around the digestive tract and tear things
>apart/cause inflammation, etc.
>
>http://www.magnetsource.com/Solutions_Pages/cowmags.html
>
>
>--
>regards
>-Krishna


--=====================_67639734==.ALT
Content-Type: text/html; charset="us-ascii"



Cow magnets have been around and in use since I was a small child and
that has been awhile.
They were not normally coated with teflon or anything else.
They were fairly strong permanent magnets.
We had a plunger like tool that we would poke into the cows mouth to
insert the magnet down its throat.
Sometimes cows would wind up with several of these that lay in the first
stomach and catch small metal bits.
The rendering and butchering plants would collect them and sell/give them
back to Farmers for reuse.
The used ones were generally somewhat corroded.
As a child, I had many to play with.

Jerry H.
At 04:57 PM 11/29/2006, you wrote:
On 11/29/06, William
McNairy

wrote:


Dear All:

I was surprised to see that small NIB magnets can pose a danger
to

children if swallowed-- not so much due to chemical makeup but
rather

potential magnetic attraction if two magnets are in nearby parts of
the

digestive tract. This can lead to perforations in the
intestines.


Thanks for the heads up, Bill. It's sad that this has caused
serious injury and death.

tangentially related: I frequently heard of a certain kind of
magnet called a cow magnet. It was a while before I learned
why: farmers feed (just one) of a (usually) teflon coated
cylindrically shaped strong magnet to cows. The magnet is large
enough that it just sits in one of the cow's stomachs.
This magnet attract nails, wire, etc. that the cows ingest so that the
sharp point objects don't slosh around the digestive tract and tear
things apart/cause inflammation, etc.

http://www.magnetsource.com/Solutions_Pages/cowmags.html

--
regards
-Krishna



--=====================_67639734==.ALT--


From tap-l-owner@lists.ncsu.edu Thu Nov 30 09:37:37 2006

Back