Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 19:48:19 -0400

Author: "John L. Hubisz"

Subject: Reviews

Post:

David Kardelis and Eric Ayars have the reviewing tasks. With so many
responses, I just had to go with whoever came 1st on each title.

With all the interest expressed from the group, I am going to ask more often!

Meanwhile, is there anyone who can convert 16mm to DVD or, at least, to
VHS? I have "Tides of Fundy" and "A Million to One" that I would like to
convert.

Thanks,

John



John L. Hubisz, Physics Department, Box 8202, North Carolina State
University, Raleigh NC 27695-8202; hubisz@unity.ncsu.edu, (919)515-2515,
(919)515-7331 FAX

http://www.science-house.org/middleschool/
http://www.physics.ncsu.edu/ncsaapt/

HOME: 1604 South Salem Street, Apex NC 27502-7251, hubisz@mindspring.com,
(919)362-5782 (Voice & FAX)

From gnper090@wviz.org Wed Sep 3 22:40:51 2003
From: "Dick Heckathorn"
To:
Subject: RE: Reviews
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 22:44:39 -0400
Message-ID: <000a01c3728e$85570120$3f0010ac@Today>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Priority: 3 (Normal)
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook, Build 10.0.2616
Importance: Normal
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.50.4133.2400
In-Reply-To: <5.1.0.14.2.20030903194030.023e3750@pop-in.ncsu.edu>
X-SLUIDL: 0C9A8CA2-6B98467C-866DA63C-08D5EFED
X-MailScanner-Information: Please contact the Helpdesk @ 6266 for more information
X-007-MailScanner: Found to be clean
X-MailScanner-SpamCheck: not spam, SpamAssassin (score=-5.7, required 7,
FROM_ENDS_IN_NUMS 0.72, IN_REP_TO -3.30, ORIGINAL_MESSAGE -3.10)
Reply-To: tap-l@listproc.appstate.edu
Sender: owner-tap-l@listproc.appstate.edu
X-Listprocessor-Version: 8.2.10/991025/16:55 -- ListProc(tm) by CREN

Greetings,

A number of years ago I got a Video Transfer unit made by Ambico from
Kmart that has a mirror setup to project the picture onto a mirror which
is viewed by a video camera and recorded. Could also copy pictures on
the video. While it does not produce the greatest clarity, it does do
the job. Getting the audio transferred was the major problem. Once on
Video, there are now stand-alone units (saw one in a computer
magazine-now if I could just find it)that will copy the video onto a
DVD. I think the cost was about $400.

Will get back if I can find the article.

Dick

"Science is nothing more than learning how to communicate with nature in
such a manner that it will talk back."

Helping teachers who facilitate, motivating students who learn.
Dick Heckathorn 14665 Pawnee Trail Middleburg Hts, OH 44130
440-826-0834
Physics Teacher CVCA 4687 Wyoga Rd Cuyahoga Falls, OH 44224
330-929-0575 VM 120


-----Original Message-----
From: owner-tap-l@listproc.appstate.edu
[mailto:owner-tap-l@listproc.appstate.edu] On Behalf Of John L. Hubisz
Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2003 7:48 PM
To: tap-l@listproc.appstate.edu
Cc: John L Hubisz
Subject: Reviews

David Kardelis and Eric Ayars have the reviewing tasks. With so many
responses, I just had to go with whoever came 1st on each title.

With all the interest expressed from the group, I am going to ask more
often!

Meanwhile, is there anyone who can convert 16mm to DVD or, at least, to
VHS? I have "Tides of Fundy" and "A Million to One" that I would like
to
convert.

Thanks,

John



John L. Hubisz, Physics Department, Box 8202, North Carolina State
University, Raleigh NC 27695-8202; hubisz@unity.ncsu.edu,
(919)515-2515,
(919)515-7331 FAX

http://www.science-house.org/middleschool/
http://www.physics.ncsu.edu/ncsaapt/

HOME: 1604 South Salem Street, Apex NC 27502-7251,
hubisz@mindspring.com,
(919)362-5782 (Voice & FAX)

From wonnell@pha.jhu.edu Thu Sep 4 07:32:57 2003
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 07:35:26 -0400 (EDT)
From: Steve Wonnell
To: David Carroll , David Carroll ,
""
cc: Steve Wonnell
Subject: Re: Feynman Video Hunt
In-Reply-To: <5.0.0.25.2.20030903091231.019458a0@rattler.stmarytx.edu>
Message-ID:
References: <5.0.0.25.2.20030903091231.019458a0@rattler.stmarytx.edu>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
X-MailScanner-Information: Please contact the Helpdesk @ 6266 for more information
X-007-MailScanner: Found to be clean
X-MailScanner-SpamCheck: not spam, SpamAssassin (score=-31.9, required 7,
EMAIL_ATTRIBUTION -6.50, IN_REP_TO -3.30, QUOTED_EMAIL_TEXT -3.20,
REFERENCES -6.60, REPLY_WITH_QUOTES -6.50, USER_AGENT_PINE -5.80)
Reply-To: tap-l@listproc.appstate.edu
Sender: owner-tap-l@listproc.appstate.edu
X-Listprocessor-Version: 8.2.10/991025/16:55 -- ListProc(tm) by CREN


David and Everyone:

Following Gary's lead, I did a little research.

What I have are 16 mm film reels of seven lectures that Feynman
gave in 1965. These were distributed by edc, otherwise known as the
Education Development Center, 39 Chapel Street, Newton, Massachusetts.

Amazingly, this organization is still around, is still on the same
street in Newton, Mass., and still sells these Feynman lectures,
now in video format. Their web site is www.edc.org.

The lectures are:

Feynman Lecture No.1: The Law of Gravitation
Feynman Lecture No.2: The Relation of Mathematics to Physics
Feynman Lecture No.3: The Great Conservation Principles
Feynman Lecture No.4: Symmetry in Physical Law
Feynman Lecture No.5: The Distinction of Past and Future
Feynman Lecture No.6: Probability & Uncertainty - The Quantum Mechanical
View of Nature
Feynman Lecture No.7: Seeking New Laws

These are available for sale at
https://secure.edc.org/publications/list.asp?3

The complete set of seven lectures is advertised for $399.95.
Individual tapes can be purchased for $59.95.

Steve Wonnell




On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, Gary Karshner wrote:

> Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 09:15:43 -0500
> From: Gary Karshner
> Reply-To: tap-l@listproc.appstate.edu
> To: tap-l@listproc.appstate.edu
> Subject: Re: Feynman Video Hunt
>
> Warren et all,
> These films come up from time to time. Unfortunately they are
> still covered by copyright and are available from an outfit in Boston. As I
> remember rather expensive, but I don't remember if they are available in
> video tape.
>
> Gary
>
> At 08:27 AM 9/3/2003 -0400, you wrote:
> >Machele and Steve,
> >
> >Might this be another project for the Bauder Fund? Certainly we would need
> >to look at copyright issues.
> >
> >Warren
> >
> >Dr. Warren W. Hein
> >Associate Executive Officer
> >American Association of Physics Teachers
> >One Physics Ellipse
> >College Park, MD 20740-3845
> >
> >E-mail: whein@aapt.org
> >Voice: 301-209-3323
> >Fax: 301-209-0845
> >
> >http://www.aapt.org/
> >
> > >>> wonnell@pha.jhu.edu 09/03/03 07:40AM >>>
> >
> >
> >David & Machele,
> >
> >We have a number of films (size 16 mm?) of Feynman's lectures at Cornell.
> >
> >If there is some interest in translating these into DVD or another format
> >then I could see whether we could lend (or give) these out.
> >
> >Steve Wonnell
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Machele Cable wrote:
> >
> > > Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 16:00:19 -0400
> > > From: Machele Cable
> > > Reply-To: tap-l@listproc.appstate.edu
> > > To: Tap-L Tap-L
> > > Cc: David L Carroll
> > > Subject: Feynman Video Hunt
> > >
> > > We have a faculty member who is hunting down videos of Feynman. In
> > > particular, he'd like to recreate the collection of videos done by the
> > > BBC (?) of the Cornell lectures in the 1950's or 60s. David was talking
> > > to the people who keep up with the videos of Nobel Prize Winners and the
> > > Feynman Cornel collection was dispersed some years ago. If anyone
> > > happens to have one or two (or the collection????) on their shelves, or
> > > know where they might be, please contact
> > >
> > > David Carroll at carroldl@wfu.edu
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > Chele
> > >
From sievert@physics.niu.edu Thu Sep 4 12:07:41 2003
Message-ID: <3F576345.7010700@physics.niu.edu>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 11:07:33 -0500
From: Patricia Sievert
Organization: NIU Physics Outreach
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.0.1) Gecko/20020823 Netscape/7.0 (nscd1)
X-Accept-Language: en-us, en
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: tap-l@listproc.appstate.edu
Subject: Re: laser-blasted glass cubes
References:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-MailScanner-Information: Please contact the Helpdesk @ 6266 for more information
X-007-MailScanner: Found to be clean
X-MailScanner-SpamCheck: not spam, SpamAssassin (score=-34.4, required 7,
EMAIL_ATTRIBUTION -6.50, NORMAL_HTTP_TO_IP 0.53,
QUOTED_EMAIL_TEXT -3.20, REFERENCES -6.60, REPLY_WITH_QUOTES -6.50,
SIGNATURE_LONG_DENSE -6.30, USER_AGENT_MOZILLA_UA -5.80)
Reply-To: tap-l@listproc.appstate.edu
Sender: owner-tap-l@listproc.appstate.edu
X-Listprocessor-Version: 8.2.10/991025/16:55 -- ListProc(tm) by CREN

I found some for a dollar at one of the local "dollar stores" later this
summer. It's only about 5 cm cubed, so too small for my demo show, but
at that price, I had to get one.
Pati

Ryan, Samantha wrote:

> That webpage is pricey! I saw similar at a gasstation in MT this summer
>for around $15-20. If I'd have been thinking about my students I might have
>picked one up at the time. Instead I was thinking about MooseTracks Ice
>Cream. =)
>
>SMR
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: William Beaty
>To: tap-l@listproc.appstate.edu
>Sent: 7/1/03 2:09 AM
>Subject: laser-blasted glass cubes
>
>
>Here's something weird. Using an infrared pulse-laser to "scribe"
>little
>white spots on the inside of a transparent block.
>
>http://www.npionline.com/products/thumbnails/tn003000.html
>http://www.lasermaxmed.com.tw/3d-e.htm
>http://65.108.81.194/products/pr003002.444.html
>
>
>(((((((((((((((((( ( ( ( ( (O) ) ) ) ) )))))))))))))))))))
>William J. Beaty SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
>billb@eskimo.com http://amasci.com
>EE/programmer/sci-exhibits amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
>Seattle, WA 206-789-0775 unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci
>
>
>
>

--
Patricia Sievert
Physics Outreach Coordinator
219 Faraday Hall
Physics Department
Northern Illinois University
DeKalb, IL 60115
sievert@physics.niu.edu
(815) 753-6418


From sampere@physics.syr.edu Thu Sep 4 12:35:11 2003
Message-ID: <3F576A4F.7000209@physics.syr.edu>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 12:37:35 -0400
From: sampere
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624 Netscape/7.1 (ax)
X-Accept-Language: en-us, en
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: tap-l@listproc.appstate.edu
Subject: Re: laser-blasted glass cubes
References: <3F576345.7010700@physics.niu.edu>
In-Reply-To: <3F576345.7010700@physics.niu.edu>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-MailScanner-Information: Please contact the Helpdesk @ 6266 for more information
X-007-MailScanner: Found to be clean
X-MailScanner-SpamCheck: not spam, SpamAssassin (score=-31.4, required 7,
EMAIL_ATTRIBUTION -6.50, IN_REP_TO -3.30, NORMAL_HTTP_TO_IP 0.53,
QUOTED_EMAIL_TEXT -3.20, REFERENCES -6.60, REPLY_WITH_QUOTES -6.50,
USER_AGENT_MOZILLA_UA -5.80)
Reply-To: tap-l@listproc.appstate.edu
Sender: owner-tap-l@listproc.appstate.edu
X-Listprocessor-Version: 8.2.10/991025/16:55 -- ListProc(tm) by CREN

We went on a family vacation to Disney last year. One morning, they
took our picture and that evening, they delivered to our hotel, two
fairly large glass cubes with flat 'photos' of our kids and a 3-D Mickey
Mouse. Very cool.

Maybe I missed it already, but do we know whats happening inside? Is
each white dot a small region of glass that was melted by the
intersection of 2 or more laser beams?

Sam

Patricia Sievert wrote:

> I found some for a dollar at one of the local "dollar stores" later
> this summer. It's only about 5 cm cubed, so too small for my demo
> show, but at that price, I had to get one.
> Pati
>
> Ryan, Samantha wrote:
>
>> That webpage is pricey! I saw similar at a gasstation in MT this summer
>> for around $15-20. If I'd have been thinking about my students I
>> might have
>> picked one up at the time. Instead I was thinking about MooseTracks Ice
>> Cream. =)
>>
>> SMR
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: William Beaty
>> To: tap-l@listproc.appstate.edu
>> Sent: 7/1/03 2:09 AM
>> Subject: laser-blasted glass cubes
>>
>>
>> Here's something weird. Using an infrared pulse-laser to "scribe"
>> little
>> white spots on the inside of a transparent block.
>>
>> http://www.npionline.com/products/thumbnails/tn003000.html
>> http://www.lasermaxmed.com.tw/3d-e.htm
>> http://65.108.81.194/products/pr003002.444.html
>>
>>
>> (((((((((((((((((( ( ( ( ( (O) ) ) ) ) )))))))))))))))))))
>> William J. Beaty SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
>> billb@eskimo.com http://amasci.com
>> EE/programmer/sci-exhibits amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
>> Seattle, WA 206-789-0775 unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
From sievert@physics.niu.edu Thu Sep 4 12:58:37 2003
Message-ID: <3F576F33.4000206@physics.niu.edu>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 11:58:27 -0500
From: Patricia Sievert
Organization: NIU Physics Outreach
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.0.1) Gecko/20020823 Netscape/7.0 (nscd1)
X-Accept-Language: en-us, en
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: tap-l@listproc.appstate.edu
Subject: Re: laser-blasted glass cubes
References: <3F576345.7010700@physics.niu.edu> <3F576A4F.7000209@physics.syr.edu>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-MailScanner-Information: Please contact the Helpdesk @ 6266 for more information
X-007-MailScanner: Found to be clean
X-MailScanner-SpamCheck: not spam, SpamAssassin (score=-21.4, required 7,
NORMAL_HTTP_TO_IP 0.53, QUOTED_EMAIL_TEXT -3.20, REFERENCES -6.60,
SIGNATURE_LONG_DENSE -6.30, USER_AGENT_MOZILLA_UA -5.80)
Reply-To: tap-l@listproc.appstate.edu
Sender: owner-tap-l@listproc.appstate.edu
X-Listprocessor-Version: 8.2.10/991025/16:55 -- ListProc(tm) by CREN

Sam, The second link in Bill's original message (below) has more info
than I've seen anywhere else, not that I've looked very hard!
Pati
sampere wrote:

> We went on a family vacation to Disney last year. One morning, they
> took our picture and that evening, they delivered to our hotel, two
> fairly large glass cubes with flat 'photos' of our kids and a 3-D
> Mickey Mouse. Very cool.
> Maybe I missed it already, but do we know whats happening inside? Is
> each white dot a small region of glass that was melted by the
> intersection of 2 or more laser beams?
>
> Sam
>
> Patricia Sievert wrote:
>
>> I found some for a dollar at one of the local "dollar stores" later
>> this summer. It's only about 5 cm cubed, so too small for my demo
>> show, but at that price, I had to get one.
>> Pati
>>
>> Ryan, Samantha wrote:
>>
>>> That webpage is pricey! I saw similar at a gasstation in MT this
>>> summer
>>> for around $15-20. If I'd have been thinking about my students I
>>> might have
>>> picked one up at the time. Instead I was thinking about MooseTracks
>>> Ice
>>> Cream. =)
>>>
>>> SMR
>>>
>>> -----Original Message-----
>>> From: William Beaty
>>> To: tap-l@listproc.appstate.edu
>>> Sent: 7/1/03 2:09 AM
>>> Subject: laser-blasted glass cubes
>>>
>>>
>>> Here's something weird. Using an infrared pulse-laser to "scribe"
>>> little
>>> white spots on the inside of a transparent block.
>>>
>>> http://www.npionline.com/products/thumbnails/tn003000.html
>>> http://www.lasermaxmed.com.tw/3d-e.htm
>>> http://65.108.81.194/products/pr003002.444.html
>>>
>>>
>>> (((((((((((((((((( ( ( ( ( (O) ) ) ) ) )))))))))))))))))))
>>> William J. Beaty SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
>>> billb@eskimo.com http://amasci.com
>>> EE/programmer/sci-exhibits amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
>>> Seattle, WA 206-789-0775 unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>
>

--
Patricia Sievert
Physics Outreach Coordinator
219 Faraday Hall
Physics Department
Northern Illinois University
DeKalb, IL 60115
sievert@physics.niu.edu
(815) 753-6418


From gpuskar@mix.wvu.edu Thu Sep 4 13:26:08 2003
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 13:28:24 -0400 (EDT)
From: Gregory P Puskar
Subject: Cesium Source
To: tap-l@appstate.edu
Message-id: <4562486.1062696504227.JavaMail.gpuskar@mix.wvu.edu>
X-VMS-To: IN%"tap-l@appstate.edu"
MIME-version: 1.0
Content-type: text/plain
Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit
X-MailScanner: Found to be clean
X-007-MailScanner: Found to be clean, Found to be clean
X-MailScanner-SpamCheck: not spam, SpamAssassin (score=0, required 7), not spam, SpamAssassin (score=0, required 7)
X-MailScanner-Information: Please contact the Helpdesk @ 6266 for more information
Reply-To: tap-l@listproc.appstate.edu
Sender: owner-tap-l@listproc.appstate.edu
X-Listprocessor-Version: 8.2.10/991025/16:55 -- ListProc(tm) by CREN

Hi All,

Our department is being charged $6500 by the University (the overall
cost is supposedly $52,000) to dispose of a (more than one?) Cs-137
source. It is contained, according to them, in a "JLS Model 78-2M"
that no one here is familiar with. Does anyone know what this device
might be? They admit it is a "legacy item" so it must be relatively
old. How active can the source be? I should mention that included in
the $52,000 overall disposal cost is a Co-60 source from the Chem
department. Does it seem reasonable to think that this source is the
major component of the total cost? As if the Physics budget has not
been cut enough! Sorry - enough venting. Thanks in advance for any
information.

Greg (Frustrated in Morgantown)


----------------------------------------
Gregory Puskar
Lab Manager/WVU Physics Dept.
Morgantown, WV 26506
Phone: 304-293-3422 x 1455
Fax: 304-293-5732
From wonnell@pha.jhu.edu Thu Sep 4 13:59:05 2003
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 14:01:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: Steve Wonnell
To: tap-l@listproc.appstate.edu
Subject: Re: Cesium Source
In-Reply-To: <4562486.1062696504227.JavaMail.gpuskar@mix.wvu.edu>
Message-ID:
References: <4562486.1062696504227.JavaMail.gpuskar@mix.wvu.edu>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
X-MailScanner-Information: Please contact the Helpdesk @ 6266 for more information
X-007-MailScanner: Found to be clean
X-MailScanner-SpamCheck: not spam, SpamAssassin (score=-31.9, required 7,
EMAIL_ATTRIBUTION -6.50, IN_REP_TO -3.30, QUOTED_EMAIL_TEXT -3.20,
REFERENCES -6.60, REPLY_WITH_QUOTES -6.50, USER_AGENT_PINE -5.80)
Reply-To: tap-l@listproc.appstate.edu
Sender: owner-tap-l@listproc.appstate.edu
X-Listprocessor-Version: 8.2.10/991025/16:55 -- ListProc(tm) by CREN


J.L Shepherd Model 78-2m beam calibrator

J. L. Shepherd & Associates
1010 Arroyo Avenue
San Fernando, CA 91340-1822
(818) 898-2361
http://www.jlshepherd.com/index.html#ContactInfo


On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Gregory P Puskar wrote:

> Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 13:28:24 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Gregory P Puskar
> Reply-To: tap-l@listproc.appstate.edu
> To: tap-l@appstate.edu
> Subject: Cesium Source
>
> Hi All,
>
> Our department is being charged $6500 by the University (the overall
> cost is supposedly $52,000) to dispose of a (more than one?) Cs-137
> source. It is contained, according to them, in a "JLS Model 78-2M"
> that no one here is familiar with. Does anyone know what this device
> might be? They admit it is a "legacy item" so it must be relatively
> old. How active can the source be? I should mention that included in
> the $52,000 overall disposal cost is a Co-60 source from the Chem
> department. Does it seem reasonable to think that this source is the
> major component of the total cost? As if the Physics budget has not
> been cut enough! Sorry - enough venting. Thanks in advance for any
> information.
>
> Greg (Frustrated in Morgantown)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------
> Gregory Puskar
> Lab Manager/WVU Physics Dept.
> Morgantown, WV 26506
> Phone: 304-293-3422 x 1455
> Fax: 304-293-5732
>
From sullivan@kenyon.edu Thu Sep 4 14:20:55 2003
Message-ID: <3F57831A.51EB7602@kenyon.edu>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 14:23:22 -0400
From: "sullivan@kenyon.edu"
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.79 [en] (Windows NT 5.0; U)
X-Accept-Language: en
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: tap-l@listproc.appstate.edu
Subject: Re: Cesium Source
References: <4562486.1062696504227.JavaMail.gpuskar@mix.wvu.edu>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-MailScanner-Information: Please contact the Helpdesk @ 6266 for more information
X-007-MailScanner: Found to be clean
X-MailScanner-SpamCheck: not spam, SpamAssassin (score=-22.8, required 7,
EMAIL_ATTRIBUTION -6.50, QUOTED_EMAIL_TEXT -3.20, REFERENCES -6.60,
REPLY_WITH_QUOTES -6.50)
Reply-To: tap-l@listproc.appstate.edu
Sender: owner-tap-l@listproc.appstate.edu
X-Listprocessor-Version: 8.2.10/991025/16:55 -- ListProc(tm) by CREN

Greg,

Trying to avoid my own work, I did a little googling to discover that it
seems likely your source came from the JL Sheperd Co. of San Fernando,
CA. Their website, while not yet developed, does have contact
information: www.jlsheperd.com

Tim
sullivan@kenyon.edu


Gregory P Puskar wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> Our department is being charged $6500 by the University (the overall
> cost is supposedly $52,000) to dispose of a (more than one?) Cs-137
> source. It is contained, according to them, in a "JLS Model 78-2M"
> that no one here is familiar with. Does anyone know what this device
> might be? They admit it is a "legacy item" so it must be relatively
> old. How active can the source be? I should mention that included in
> the $52,000 overall disposal cost is a Co-60 source from the Chem
> department. Does it seem reasonable to think that this source is the
> major component of the total cost? As if the Physics budget has not
> been cut enough! Sorry - enough venting. Thanks in advance for any
> information.
>
> Greg (Frustrated in Morgantown)
>
> ----------------------------------------
> Gregory Puskar
> Lab Manager/WVU Physics Dept.
> Morgantown, WV 26506
> Phone: 304-293-3422 x 1455
> Fax: 304-293-5732
From Paul.Nord@valpo.edu Thu Sep 4 14:25:13 2003
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 13:28:03 -0500
Subject: Re: Cesium Source
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary=Apple-Mail-29-641021237
Mime-Version: 1.0 (Apple Message framework v552)
Cc: Paul Nord
To: tap-l@listproc.appstate.edu
From: Paul Nord
In-Reply-To: <4562486.1062696504227.JavaMail.gpuskar@mix.wvu.edu>

Back