Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 15:00:29 -0700

Author: Bill Alexander

Subject: Re: Power Supply


You could purchase a used transformer, such as the 120VAC to 32VAC one
listed in the C & H Sales catalog (for $100), as well as a 10 A variac to
feed it with. Then all it would take is a full wave bridge. The capacitor
is more problematical, since you want to produce so much current. A large
choke would probably help get around that.


>I would like to buy a 25 volt 25 amp variable DC power supply.
>It should simply consist of an on-off switch, a high current variac,
>a high current bridge, and a filter capacitor.
>Does anyone know where to get a variable DC supply this simple?
>Most power supplies have lower power and a lot more regulation.
>I don't mind having the ripple on the DC. I want 625 Watts power and low
>Mcmaster-Carr has manual battery chargers that are similar to this.
>But they do not have a variac so they're not variable, and they don't have
>a cap so they produce pulsating DC.
>Does anyone know where to get one like I described?
>Can't wait for Boise!
>Gerald Zani e-mail:
>Manager of Demonstrations phone: (401) 863-3964
>Department of Physics FAX: (401) 863-2024
>Brown University Providence, RI 02912-1843 USA

Bill Alexander Excuse me if I ramble,
Physics Dept. but I drive a Nash.
Humboldt State University
Arcata, CA 95521

phone: (707) 826-3212