Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 11:05:52 -0700

Author: Jim Krider

Subject: RE: Universal Demo Form and Sample

Post:

This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand
this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

--Boundary_(ID_+9T+yO9S4IxkCYvE8xO9iQ)
Content-type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1

The main reason that I visit other PIRA websites is to find out what DCS
number was assigned to a demo so that I can update our database. Of the 38
webs listed on the PIRA Resource page at
(http://www.wfu.edu/physics/pira/PIRAHome3.html) about 20 use the DCS system
and 16 don't. So when I search and do find the demo I am looking for about
half the time there is no DCS number or it simply says DCS number not known.
It would save anyone who does demo cataloging a lot of time if this process
could be expedited.

Looking at the link Chele sent me this morning
(http://www.wfu.edu/physics/pira/postings/demofilesubmit/DemoSubmitForm.gif
)for the Demo Submit Form it lists "PIRA Demo Code" and "Your Demo Code". I
am not sure what is intended for these two boxes. It could be for DCS or
not DCS numbers or it could be for proposing a DCS number if there is not
one there already.

If the "Official PIRA Universal Demo Form" is still in the planning stage
perhaps boxes for "General Subject Area (i.e. Mechanics) and the second box
"Subsection (i.e. Measurement)" could be replaced with four boxes for Area,
Topic, Concept and Demonstration as already used in the bibliography
(http://www.physics.ncsu.edu/pira/dcs.html). This would help in assigning a
DCS number if it doesn't already have one.

Is this "Official PIRA Universal Demo Form" in use yet?

When I am looking for a DCS number I need it that day. A committee that
meets yearly to publish the PIRA Demonstration Bibliography is not going to
meet this need. The requirements of the committee are too stringent (must
publish) as well as too slow.

So we need a form where you submit a demo that is not in the bibliography
and a tentative number is suggested with the demo, and the reasons for
assigning this number are given. Hopefully a response would be that someone
else may have the same demo and gave it a different number and why. With
this feedback a fairly reasonable number could be assigned to the database
right away. These responses could be evaluated at the end of the year and
included in the PIRA Demonstration Bibliography. Perhaps the committee,
once a year if sooner is not feasible, could publish this list of demos with
the DCS number they like. This could reduce a lot of the work of the
committee. Then when this list is available it could be used to update the
database and labels changed to the official number.

Jim

Jim Krider Laboratory Coordinator Senior
Physics and Astronomy Instructional Resource Team
P.O. Box 871504 Tempe, Arizona 85287-1504
(480) 965-8086






Oh yeah!!!! NOW I remember...lol...here's a valid link.
http://www.wfu.edu/physics/pira/postings/demofilesubmit/DemoSubmitForm.gif

Chele

Jim Krider wrote:

This is the thread talking about a Universal Demo Form and some of the
thread is about posting this form on PIRA website.Jim
(Universal Demo Form and Sample) "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />


For those interested in adopting standardize forms and programs, here is my
idea of what we could use to submit demos to PIRA and have them collected
and posted on a website or burned on a CD for yearly distribution at the
AAPT Summer Meeting.I would be more than glad to collect them and burn the
cd's.

How many would be in favor of using the form to do that from now

thru next June as a test project?Everyone who participates would get a free
cd next August!!Any changes to the form needed?....Doug


(broken link)
http://www.wfu.edu/physics/pira/postings/demofilesubmit/DemoSubmit.htm



PS..Thanks Chele for posting the form and sample form on your website!


PPS.. I found in making this form available, the gif format worked the best.



Doug,

This sounds like a good idea.Should it be limited to one or two subject
areas?Should they be new or unusual demos?I guess i am asking if there
should be a focus to the collection.


Tom


Tom Senior

Physics Teacher847-784-6739

New Trier High School


Doug -

I'm interested in this if it could be used to speed addition of demos to the
DCS. One problem has been that to get into the DCS a demo has had to be
published which means many (most?) don't get in very fast. If this could be
considered published it could considerably speed the growth of the DCS (demo
bibliography). If these are archived and accessible it should be useful for
this. It might be good to make a point of saying the description or the 1st
sentence of it should be suitable for use in the Demo Bibliography. I think
that it would be much better if they were accumulated and accessible on the
web rather than put on a CD. I know I have Dick Berg's CD from the Maryland
meeting but I've never used it since his web site has been up ever since. Of
course back up is important and the CD would accomplish that. This is
similar in some respects to what Keith Warren hoped to accomplish with
WebDemo. This seems much simpler to adopt and probably more likely to
succeed.

Tim Cook, AZ State

My idea was to merely begin collecting whatever info people had on how to
build demos...in particular those that have been discussed at length. An
example would be Jerry's electric field demos he had at the summer meeting.
Much discussion about flox (?) and whatnot went on and he seems to have a
viable solution. I personally would like to see his plans.


Chele


As a freelance writer, I consider any stuff I have on the web as being
"published". The rule of thumb is if the general public has access to it,
its published...its just that on the web, plagiarism is much more of an
issue, so you have to be careful about what you put out. Since we're not
looking to make and real money off of this, I don't think that web
publishing will be a problem.

As for making the DCS process quicker, that's one area I'm actually NOT
involved in!

Chele


Tom and others,

I am open to suggestions.Focusing one subject each year would be a good
idea, especially in Modern Physics.Only after we see what kind of response
we get, can we really know where we should go with the project.

For now, I would like to leave it open and just sort them before publishing
the cd.I think having them available on a website would be good for those
who don't attend the AAPT Summer meetings and to promote the value of the
PIRA organization to the rest of the world.

Hopefully, everyone will benefit from this gathering of data.It will be a
good way to show professionalism in your work place by submitting these to
PIRA for publishing.It will help advertise our names and the places where we
work too!I think it is a win/win situation for everyone who submits and uses
the information.My intention is to have this information available to the
world at no cost and with no restrictions for academic users.In other words,
a way for someone to put together a demonstration manual for their
institution without having to spend thousands of hours putting one together.


Having a place to share the latest ideas in demo development is also
exciting to me.Any great idea needs to be shared in a timely manner.I bet
all of us would enjoy that....Doug

Hi Tim and others,

Tim, I enjoyed all your comments. The DCS could benefit from this as well. I
would still like them to be published on a cd yearly, mostly for those who
have poor internet access. They can transfer the data onto zip disks or
whatever media easier from the cd. I use Dick Berg's CD all the time. It has
been a great source of information to me. It also humbles me to know what
they have and I don't.

I really enjoyed your last sentence and truly want this to be a simple
process for as many people as possible to publish and get credit for their
efforts. This I consider a K.I.S.S. type project, which should work well for
everyone. ....Doug


PS.. K.I.S.S. means to "Keep It Simple Stupid"... Speaking only to myself in
trying figuring out how to do this and have it be successful over the long
haul.

I have been "collecting" demo descriptions off the list for a few years and
pasting them into the appropriate section of an existing PIRA DCS file.Only
demo descriptions that differ from what is already in the DCS are saved.That
means new demos as well as variations on old demos.Is this what you are
talking about, or are you looking for some sort of consensus "best way to do
a demo" complete with drawings, etc.?


Jerry


I was kinda thinking of a "best way to do demo" thing...although your idea
sounds very interesting.....I wouldn't be opposed to working with your file,
if you'd be willing to publish it.


Chele


I don't mind publishing it but there are a couple obstacles.Number one, it
is not current because I haven't been able to keep up with all the postings
of new ideas.There is a backlog I need to work on.Number two, because of its
nature it will be constantly changing.Would that be a problem?


Jerry

One thing to consider is to try to coordinate this with the demo bib, maybe
flag the ones that aren't in it so they can be added later or something. It
would be a shame to have to pore over two major resources in the future
instead of one compete one.

Tim Cook

Jerry,


Your collection sounds *very* useful..I hope you and Chele find a way to go
live with it.


Updating it and keeping it current would be too much to even ask for.

Please?


Michael Thomason, Director, Physics Learning Laboratories

University of Colorado, Boulder, Department of Physics

http://physicslearning.colorado.edu

mailto:thomason@colorado.edu

303-492-7117


In the matter of physics the first lessons should contain nothing but what
is experimental and interesting to see.A pretty experiment is in itself
often more valuable than twenty formulae extracted from our minds.

- Albert Einstein

A Moszkowski, Conversations with Einstein, page 67, Horizon Press (1970)


I'd say a yearly update would be feasible...we could exchange info at the
meeting...do you think we'd need to update this more often?


Chele


I guess a yearly update would be often enough.How often is the demo
bibliography updated?In any case, it wouldn't be ready until the backlog has
been dealt with.Incidentally, when I wrote that I was incorporating this
collection into a PIRA DCS file, I was referring to the demo bib.One
question though - since this project uses the demo bib, should we have the
DCS Committee's blessing on this?


Jerry


P.S. Michael, you know what happens to wise guys... they become volunteers.



I am not sure if this e-mail below was directed at me or not.From the
subject line I suppose that it is.What I proposed can be or doesn't have to
be used by the DCS folks.They can make use of it if they want to.If I can
modify the form to help them out some, now would be a good time to make
changes, but I don't think it needs any approval just the willingness of
someone to post it on the web and someone to keep a database file to burn a
CD with.If this idea catches on, maybe PIRA will want to take the project
over and make UDF Committee or something like that to manage the information
gathered each year.

I have my CPP Top 50 Demos converted into a jpeg universal demo format.

Just finished that today!I know I posted my Top 50 Demo list a while ago,
but many Tap-Lers didn't know what the demo titles meant for most of the
demos.There may still be some errors in some of these demos, but at least it
give you a good idea of what each demo is about and that was the whole
purpose of my project.

Maybe I can get Chele to post these 50 demos of mine on the PIRA site as
part of this project to help it get started.At least I hope she has the time
to do that..I will check with her and see if that is possible.....Doug


Sure thing...but it might have to wait until November....we'll be back from
our honeymoon on the 3rd and then I have to catch up!


Chele


Jerry,


I would volunteer to help with this proposed project because I think it

would be very valuable, but I am pretty well volunteered out already with
the DCS project.I have been a member of the DCS committee since it started
about ten years ago.Those of us who are still on the committee have all
volunteered for so much DCS work that we can't keep up with that in the
first place.


By the way, I don't think your project conflicts with the DCS at all.It
would be nice to integrate published demos from your database into the DCS
but as long as they are maintained explicitly as separate collections there
should be no confusion.Someone complained they don't want to deal with two
collections; I think it's way better to have demos that are not in the DCS
yet collected into some list than to not have them collected at all.


Michael Thomason, Director, Physics Learning Laboratories

University of Colorado, Boulder, Department of Physics

http://physicslearning.colorado.edu

mailto:thomason@colorado.edu

303-492-7117

I wasn't being serious about the volunteering remark, just being a wise guy
myself.What I have been doing is collecting descriptions off Tap-L and
distilling the relevant information into a brief summary.This summary is
entered into a Demo Bibliography file in the appropriate slot.So, for
instance, in section 5B10 of this modified DCS next to "velveteens" and
"fuzzy fur field tank" (5B10.40) is an entry for "electric field on OHP"
that contains the summary description of this topic on Tap-L.Tap-L is cited
as the reference.I wanted to explain this further so there was no
misunderstanding about what is being offered.If this is okay with everyone
then I'll try to get it current so it can be made available to all...


Jerry


-----Original Message-----
From: Machele Cable [mailto:cablem@wfu.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 7:42 AM
To: Jim Krider
Subject: Re: PIRA Member Website

Ummmm......for???? I manage lots of sites...and lots of different stuff for
PIRA...sorry....you hit 30 and your mind just gets full.
Jim Krider wrote:


Do you still have the demosubmit.htm?

Jim

--
Machele Cable-----Lab Manager-----Wake Forest University
-----"Nothing shocks me. I'm a scientist." - Indiana Jones-----


--
Machele Cable-----Lab Manager-----Wake Forest University

-----"Nothing shocks me. I'm a scientist." - Indiana Jones-----


--Boundary_(ID_+9T+yO9S4IxkCYvE8xO9iQ)
Content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-transfer-encoding: QUOTED-PRINTABLE

=0D=0A=0D=0A EAD>=0D=0A rset=3Diso-8859-1">=0D=0A nge Server version 5.5.2655.35">=0D=0ARE: Universal Demo Form =<br> and Sample=0D=0A=0D=0A=0D=0A=0D=0A

=3D2>The main reason that I visit other PIRA websites is to find out =
what DCS number was assigned to a demo so that I can update our datab=
ase.  Of the 38 webs listed on the PIRA Resource page at ( F=3D"http:/
/www.wfu.edu/physics/pira/PIRAHome3.html" TARGET=3D"_blank">http://ww=
w.wfu.edu/physics/pira/PIRAHome3.html
) about 20 use the DCS syste=
m and 16 don't.  So when I search and do find the demo I am look=
ing for about half the time there is no DCS number or it simply says =
DCS number not known.  It would save anyone who does demo catalo=
ging a lot of time if this process could be expedited. 
<=
/P>=0D=0A=0D=0A

Looking at the link Chele sent me th=
is morning ( hysics/pira/postings/demofilesubmit/DemoSubmitForm.gif" TARGET=3D"_bl=
ank">http://www.wfu.edu/physics/pira/postings/demofilesubmit/DemoSubm=
itForm.gif
)for the Demo Submit Form it lists "PIRA Demo Cod=
e" and "Your Demo Code".  I am not sure what is i=
ntended for these two boxes.  It could be for DCS or not DCS num=
bers or it could be for proposing a DCS number if there is not one th=
ere already.

=0D=0A=0D=0A

If the "Off=
icial PIRA Universal Demo Form" is s
till in the planning stage perhaps boxes for "General Subject Ar=
ea (i.e. Mechanics) and the second box "Subsection (i.e. Measure=
ment)" could be replaced with four boxes for Area, Topic, Concep=
t and Demonstration as already used in the bibliography ( ttp://www.physics.ncsu.edu/pira/dcs.html" TARGET=3D"_blank">http://ww=
w.physics.ncsu.edu/pira/dcs.html
).  This would help in assig=
ning a DCS number if it doesn't already have one.

=0D=0A=
=0D=0A

Is this "Official
PIRA Universal Demo Form" in use yet?
=0D=0A

=0D=0A=
=0D=0A

When I am looking for a DCS number I need it =
that day.  A committee that meets yearly to publish the PIRA Dem=
onstration Bibliography is not going to meet this need.  The req=
uirements of the committee are too stringent (must publish) as well a=
s too slow.

=0D=0A=0D=0A

So we need a form=
where you submit a demo that is not in the bibliography and a tentat=
ive number is suggested with the demo, and the reasons f
or assigning this number are given.  Hopefully a response would =
be that someone else may have the same demo and gave it a different n=
umber and why.  With this feedback a fairly reasonable number co=
uld be assigned to the database right away.  These responses cou=
ld be evaluated at the end of the year and included in the PIRA Demon=
stration Bibliography.  Perhaps the committee, once a year if so=
oner is not feasible, could publish this list of demos with the DCS n=
umber they like.  This c
ould reduce a lot of the work of the committee.  Then when this =
list is available it could be used to update the database and labels =
changed to the official number.

=0D=0A=0D=0A

=3D2>Jim=0D=0A

=0D=0A=0D=0A

Jim Krider Lab=
oratory Coordinator Senior
=0D=0A
Physics and=
Astronomy Instructional Resource Team
=0D=0A
=3D2>P.O. Box 871504 Tempe, Arizona 85287-1504=0D=0A
SIZE=3D2>(480) 965-8086 =0D=0A

=0D=0A
=0D=0A
=0D=0A R>=0D=0A
=0D=0A
=0D=0A=0D=0A

NT SIZE=3D2>Oh yeah!!!! NOW I remember...lol...here's a valid link. <=
/FONT>=0D=0A
pira/postings/demofilesubmit/DemoSubmitForm.gif" TARGET=3D"_blank">ht=
tp://www.wfu.edu/physics/pira/postings/demofilesubmit/DemoSubmitForm.=
gif
=0D=0A

=0D=0A=0D=0A

Chele =
=0D=0A

=0D=0A=0D=0A

Jim Krider wrote: =
=0D=0A

=0D=0A=0D=0A

 This is the thread talk=
ing about a Universal Demo Form and some of the thread is about posti=
ng this form on PIR
A website.Jim

=0D=0A=0D=0A

(Universal Dem=
o Form and Sample)<?xml:namespace prefix =3D o ns =3D "urn:sc=
hemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
=0D=0A

=0D=
=0A
=0D=0A=0D=0A

For those interested in adopting=
standardize forms and programs, here is my idea of what we could use=
to submit demos to PIRA and have them collected and posted on a webs=
ite or burned on a CD for yearly distribution at the AAPT Summer Meet=
ing.I would be more than glad to collect them and burn the cd's.

=0D=0A=0D=0A

How many would be in favor =
of using the form to do that from now
=0D=0A

=0D=0A=0D=0A >thru next June as a test project?Everyone who partici=
pates would get a free cd next August!!Any changes to the form needed=
?....Doug

=0D=0A
=0D=0A=0D=0A

(broken =
link) mit/DemoSubmit.htm" TARGET=3D"_blank">http://www.wfu.edu/physics/pira=
/postings/demofilesubmit/DemoSubmit.htm
=0D=0A

=0D=0A R>=0D=0A
=0D=0A
=0D=0A

PS..Thanks Chele for posting the form and sam=
ple form on your website!
=0D=0A

=0D=0A
=0D=0A=0D=0A

<=
FONT SIZE=3D2>PPS.. I found in making this form available, the gif fo=
rmat worked the best. =0D=0A

=0D=0A
=0D=0A=0D=0A

SIZE=3D2>Doug, =0D=0A

=0D=0A=0D=0A

This s=
ounds like a good idea.Should it be limited to one or two subject are=
as?Should they be new or unusual demos?I guess i am asking if there s=
hould be a focus to the collection.

=0D=0A
=0D=0A=0D=
=0A

Tom =0D
=0A

=0D=0A
=0D=0A=0D=0A

Tom Senior =
=0D=0A

=0D=0A=0D=0A

Physics Teacher847-784-6739 <=
/FONT>=0D=0A

=0D=0A=0D=0A

New Trier High School <=
/FONT>=0D=0A

=0D=0A
=0D=0A=0D=0A

Doug - >=0D=0A

=0D=0A=0D=0A

I'm interested in this if it=
could be used to speed addition of demos to the DCS. One problem has=
been that to get into the DCS a demo has had to be published which m=
eans many (most?) don't get in very fast. If this could be considered=
published it could considerably speed t
he growth of the DCS (demo bibliography). If these are archived and a=
ccessible it should be useful for this. It might be good to make a po=
int of saying the description or the 1st sentence of it should be sui=
table for use in the Demo Bibliography. I think that it would be much=
better if they were accumulated and accessible on the web rather tha=
n put on a CD. I know I have Dick Berg's CD from the Maryland meeting=
but I've never used it since his web site has been up ever since. Of=
course back up is important=20
and the CD would accomplish that. This is similar in some respects to=
what Keith Warren hoped to accomplish with WebDemo. This seems much =
simpler to adopt and probably more likely to succeed.

=
=0D=0A=0D=0A

Tim Cook, AZ State =0D=0A

=
=0D=0A=0D=0A

My idea was to merely begin collecting =
whatever info people had on how to build demos...in particular those =
that have been discussed at length. An example would be Jerry's elect=
ric field demos he had at the summer meeting. Much discussio
n about flox (?) and whatnot went on and he seems to have a viable so=
lution. I personally would like to see his plans.

=0D=0A R>=0D=0A=0D=0A

Chele =0D=0A

=0D=0A
=
=0D=0A=0D=0A

As a freelance writer, I consider any s=
tuff I have on the web as being "published". The rule of th=
umb is if the general public has access to it, its published...its ju=
st that on the web, plagiarism is much more of an issue, so you have =
to be careful about what you put out. Since we're not looking to=20
make and real money off of this, I don't think that web publishing wi=
ll be a problem. 

=0D=0A=0D=0A

As fo=
r making the DCS process quicker, that's one area I'm actually NOT in=
volved in!
=0D=0A

=0D=0A=0D=0A

Chele T>=0D=0A

=0D=0A
=0D=0A=0D=0A

Tom and others, <=
/FONT>=0D=0A

=0D=0A=0D=0A

I am open to suggestion=
s.Focusing one subject each year would be a good idea, especially in =
Modern Physics.Only after we see what kind of response we get, can we=
really know whe
re we should go with the project.

=0D=0A=0D=0A

E=3D2>For now, I would like to leave it open and just sort them befor=
e publishing the cd.I think having them available on a website would =
be good for those who don't attend the AAPT Summer meetings and to pr=
omote the value of the PIRA organization to the rest of the world. FONT>

=0D=0A=0D=0A

Hopefully, everyone will benef=
it from this gathering of data.It will be a good way to show professi=
onalism in your work place by submitting these to
PIRA for publishing.It will help advertise our names and the places =
where we work too!I think it is a win/win situation for everyone who =
submits and uses the information.My intention is to have this informa=
tion available to the world at no cost and with no restrictions for a=
cademic users.In other words, a way for someone to put together a dem=
onstration manual for their institution without having to spend thous=
ands of hours putting one together.

=0D=0A=0D=0A

IZE=3D2>Having a place to share the lat
est ideas in demo development is also exciting to me.Any great idea n=
eeds to be shared in a timely manner.I bet all of us would enjoy that=
....Doug

=0D=0A=0D=0A

Hi Tim and others, =
=0D=0A

=0D=0A=0D=0A

Tim, I enjoyed all you=
r comments. The DCS could benefit from this as well. I would still li=
ke them to be published on a cd yearly, mostly for those who have poo=
r internet access. They can transfer the data onto zip disks or whate=
ver media easier from the cd. I use Dick Berg's CD al
l the time. It has been a great source of information to me. It also =
humbles me to know what they have and I don't.

=0D=0A=0D=
=0A

I really enjoyed your last sentence and truly wa=
nt this to be a simple process for as many people as possible to publ=
ish and get credit for their efforts. This I consider a K.I.S.S. type=
project, which should work well for everyone. ....Doug

=
=0D=0A
=0D=0A=0D=0A

PS.. K.I.S.S. means to "=
Keep It Simple Stupid"... Speaking only to myself in
trying figuring out how to do this and have it be successful over th=
e long haul.

=0D=0A=0D=0A

I have been &qu=
ot;collecting" demo descriptions off the list for a few years an=
d pasting them into the appropriate section of an existing PIRA DCS f=
ile.Only demo descriptions that differ from what is already in the DC=
S are saved.That means new demos as well as variations on old demos.I=
s this what you are talking about, or are you looking for some sort o=
f consensus "best way to do a demo
" complete with drawings, etc.?

=0D=0A
=0D=0A=0D=
=0A

Jerry =0D=0A

=0D=0A
=0D=0A=0D=0A

=
I was kinda thinking of a "best way to do demo&qu=
ot; thing...although your idea sounds very interesting.....I wouldn't=
be opposed to working with your file, if you'd be willing to publish=
it.

=0D=0A
=0D=0A=0D=0A

Chele =
=0D=0A

=0D=0A
=0D=0A=0D=0A

I don't mind publis=
hing it but there are a couple obstacles.Number one, it is not curren=
t because I haven't been a
ble to keep up with all the postings of new ideas.There is a backlog =
I need to work on.Number two, because of its nature it will be consta=
ntly changing.Would that be a problem?

=0D=0A
=0D=0A=
=0D=0A

Jerry =0D=0A

=0D=0A=0D=0A

IZE=3D2>One thing to consider is to try to coordinate this with the d=
emo bib, maybe flag the ones that aren't in it so they can be added l=
ater or something. It would be a shame to have to pore over two major=
resources in the future instead of one compete one.

=0D=0A=0D=0A

Tim Cook =0D=0A

=0D=0A=
=0D=0A

Jerry, =0D=0A

=0D=0A
=0D=0A=0D=
=0A

Your collection sounds *very* useful..I hope you=
and Chele find a way to go live with it.
=0D=0A

=0D=0A
=
=0D=0A=0D=0A

Updating it and keeping it current woul=
d be too much to even ask for.
=0D=0A

=0D=0A=0D=0A

SIZE=3D2>Please? =0D=0A

=0D=0A
=0D=0A=0D=0A

=3D2>Michael Thomason, Director, Physics Learning Laboratories >=0D=0A

=0D=0A=0D=0A

University of Colorado, Boul=
de
r, Department of Physics
=0D=0A

=0D=0A=0D=0A

=3D2> ">http://physicslearning.colorado.edu =0D=0A

=0D=0A=
=0D=0A

mail=
to:thomason@colorado.edu
=0D=0A

=0D=0A=0D=0A

ZE=3D2>303-492-7117 =0D=0A

=0D=0A
=0D=0A=0D=0A

IZE=3D2>In the matter of physics the first lessons should contain not=
hing but what is experimental and interesting to see.A pretty experim=
ent is in itself often more valu
able than twenty formulae extracted from our minds.

=0D=
=0A=0D=0A

- Albert Einstein =0D=0A

=0D=
=0A=0D=0A

A Moszkowski, Conversations with Einstein,=
page 67, Horizon Press (1970)
=0D=0A

=0D=0A
=0D=0A=0D=
=0A

I'd say a yearly update would be feasible...we c=
ould exchange info at the meeting...do you think we'd need to update =
this more often?

=0D=0A
=0D=0A=0D=0A

C=
hele
=0D=0A

=0D=0A
=0D=0A=0D=0A

I guess=
a yearly update would be often enough.How=20
often is the demo bibliography updated?In any case, it wouldn't be re=
ady until the backlog has been dealt with.Incidentally, when I wrote =
that I was incorporating this collection into a PIRA DCS file, I was =
referring to the demo bib.One question though - since this project us=
es the demo bib, should we have the DCS Committee's blessing on this?=

=0D=0A
=0D=0A=0D=0A

Jerry =
=0D=0A

=0D=0A
=0D=0A=0D=0A

P.S. Michael, you k=
now what happens to wise guys... they become volunteers.
=0D
=0A

=0D=0A
=0D=0A
=0D=0A=0D=0A

I am not sur=
e if this e-mail below was directed at me or not.From the subject lin=
e I suppose that it is.What I proposed can be or doesn't have to be u=
sed by the DCS folks.They can make use of it if they want to.If I can=
modify the form to help them out some, now would be a good time to m=
ake changes, but I don't think it needs any approval just the willing=
ness of someone to post it on the web and someone to keep a database =
file to burn a CD with.If this idea catches on, m
aybe PIRA will want to take the project over and make UDF Committee o=
r something like that to manage the information gathered each year. <=
/FONT>

=0D=0A=0D=0A

I have my CPP Top 50 Demos co=
nverted into a jpeg universal demo format.
=0D=0A

=0D=0A=
=0D=0A

Just finished that today!I know I posted my T=
op 50 Demo list a while ago, but many Tap-Lers didn't know what the d=
emo titles meant for most of the demos.There may still be some errors=
in some of these demos, but at least it give you a good
idea of what each demo is about and that was the whole purpose of my=
project.

=0D=0A=0D=0A

Maybe I can get Ch=
ele to post these 50 demos of mine on the PIRA site as part of this p=
roject to help it get started.At least I hope she has the time to do =
that..I will check with her and see if that is possible.....Doug NT>

=0D=0A
=0D=0A=0D=0A

Sure thing...but it mi=
ght have to wait until November....we'll be back from our honeymoon o=
n the 3rd and then I have to catch up!

=0D=0A<
BR>=0D=0A=0D=0A

Chele =0D=0A

=0D=0A
=
=0D=0A=0D=0A

Jerry, =0D=0A

=0D=0A
=0D=
=0A=0D=0A

I would volunteer to help with this propos=
ed project because I think it
=0D=0A

=0D=0A=0D=0A

IZE=3D2>would be very valuable, but I am pretty well volunteered out =
already with the DCS project.I have been a member of the DCS committe=
e since it started about ten years ago.Those of us who are still on t=
he committee have all volunteered for so much DCS work that we can't =
keep up with that in the=20
first place.

=0D=0A
=0D=0A=0D=0A

By th=
e way, I don't think your project conflicts with the DCS at all.It wo=
uld be nice to integrate published demos from your database into the =
DCS but as long as they are maintained explicitly as separate collect=
ions there should be no confusion.Someone complained they don't want =
to deal with two collections; I think it's way better to have demos t=
hat are not in the DCS yet collected into some list than to not have =
them collected at all.

=0D=0A
=0D=0A=0D
=0A

Michael Thomason, Director, Physics Learning Lab=
oratories
=0D=0A

=0D=0A=0D=0A

University o=
f Colorado, Boulder, Department of Physics
=0D=0A

=0D=0A=
=0D=0A

u" TARGET=3D"_blank">http://physicslearning.colorado.edu =
=0D=0A

=0D=0A=0D=0A

lorado.edu">mailto:thomason@colorado.edu =0D=0A

=0D=
=0A=0D=0A

303-492-7117 =0D=0A

=0D=0A=0D=
=0A

I wasn't being serious about t
he volunteering remark, just being a wise guy myself.What I have been=
doing is collecting descriptions off Tap-L and distilling the releva=
nt information into a brief summary.This summary is entered into a De=
mo Bibliography file in the appropriate slot.So, for instance, in sec=
tion 5B10 of this modified DCS next to "velveteens" and &qu=
ot;fuzzy fur field tank" (5B10.40) is an entry for "electri=
c field on OHP" that contains the summary description of this to=
pic on Tap-L.Tap-L is cited a
s the reference.I wanted to explain this further so there was no misu=
nderstanding about what is being offered.If this is okay with everyon=
e then I'll try to get it current so it can be made available to all.=
..

=0D=0A
=0D=0A=0D=0A

Jerry =
=0D=0A

=0D=0A
=0D=0A=0D=0A

-----Original Messa=
ge-----
=0D=0A
From: Machele Cable [ =3D"mailto:cablem@wfu.edu">mailto:cablem@wfu.edu] =0D=0A R>Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 7:42 AM =
=0D=0A
IZE=3D2>To: Jim Krider =0D=0A
Subject: Re: P=
IRA Member Website
=0D=0A
 =0D=
=0A
Ummmm......for???? I manage lots of sites...and=
lots of different stuff for PIRA...sorry....you hit 30 and your mind=
just gets full.

=0D=0A=0D=0A

Jim Krider =
wrote:
=0D=0A

=0D=0A=0D=0A

  =
=0D=0A
Do you still have the demosubmit.htm? >=0D=0A

=0D=0A=0D=0A

Jim=0D=0A

=0D=0A=
=0D=0A

-- =0D=0A
NT SIZE=3D2>Machele Cable-----Lab Manager-----Wake Forest University =
=0D=0A
-----"Nothing shocks me. I'm a s=
cientist." - Indiana Jones-----
=0D=0A
=
 
=0D=0A

=0D=0A=0D=0A

-- =0D=
=0A
Machele Cable-----Lab Manager-----Wake Forest U=
niversity
=0D=0A

=0D=0A=0D=0A

-----"N=
othing shocks me. I'm a scientist." - Indiana Jones-----
=
=0D=0A
  =0D=0A

=0D=0A=0D=0A=
=0D=0At=00=00=00=00=00=00=00=00=00=00=00=00=00=00=00=00=00=
=00=00=00

--Boundary_(ID_+9T+yO9S4IxkCYvE8xO9iQ)--

Back