Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 14:13:42 -0600

Author: Jerry DiMarco

Subject: Re: Ghost forces



This is not an easy topic to find references on. Most texts these days
refer to centripetal force and coriolus effect. Whether you are talking
about centrifugal or centripetal force, it refers to the force felt at a
stationary point on an object that is in circular motion or rotating about
its axis. Coriolus effect or force refers to the force felt when moving
along the radial line of the centripetal or centrifugal force...


At 01:25 PM 4/27/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Ok, here's a good question...what's the difference between centrifugal
>force and coriolus force? Of course, both are just effects of a
>rotating reference frame, but when explaining it to a non-science
>person, what would you say?


Jerry DiMarco, Instructional Lab Supr. ph: 406-994-6161
Physics Dept., Montana State Univ. fax: 406-994-4452
Bozeman, MT 59717-3840 e-mail: