Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 21:45:14 -0700

Author: "Bernard G. Cleyet & Nancy Ann Seese"

Subject: Re: Sourcing Semiconductor samples


High their!

I use low temp solder -- It works with a little patience and rubbing with the
iron tip -- no patience necessary if one has an ultrasonic iron. The solder:
various alloys or pure metals including tin, gallium, etc.

A number of years ago (Ca. 1965/66 (when I was teaching at Napa JC), the Amateur
Sci. (Sci. Am.) had an article on using Hall probes for B measurement -- the
electronics out dated of course, but it did use transistors! (Prob. Ge)

Gerald Zani wrote:

> If what you are trying to do is experiment with a small, rectangular piece of
> semiconductor and use it to make a Hall effect measurement I can tell you
> from
> experience save your time. Making solder wire contacts to the material is
> next
> impossible. You'll find out the hard way that the geometry of the
> semiconductor material determines its effectiveness.
> You can buy a semiconductor with the geometry of a Hall device that has
> reliable wire solder contacts from F. W. Bell. Thier real cheap and perfect
> little things.
> Using thier HS-100 sensor you can construct your own constant current supply
> and do a four terminal measurement to make a Hall probe. A GREAT project.
> JZ
> At 11:57 AM 10/5/99 +1300, you wrote:
> >Does anyone know where I can get samples of semiconductors for a Hall
> >effect experiment?
> >
> >Paul
> >